Mark Volpe: ROOT in DM (reply to Dan Everett)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at ucalgary.ca
Sat Nov 16 19:37:12 UTC 2002

Hi again listers,
    In reference to your query Dan, if I recall
correctly, Haspelmath cites Georgian or at least one
of the languages of the Caucasian region, as one of
the rare languages which derive 'die' and 'kill' from
the same ROOT.
    Perhaps if Karine Megerdoomian is reading, she
could tell us about the specifics of Armenian?
Although genetically unrelated, it's a lot closer
geographically. I don't think it's the case that
genetic relation has anything to do with it, but it
seems more intimately related to culture.
                    Cheers,---Mark