Bloomfield's Taxemes

Dan Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Thu Feb 20 17:07:46 UTC 2003

It does interest me, moderately, and I will indeed be 'going for it' as
part of my OUP book, just a brief section though on Bloomfield and then
a chapter on DM.

I was not asking the question with any motive or expectation other than
to know whether someone had indeed thought about this. In fact,
Bloomfield's concept of Taxeme is very complicated. The only in-depth
review of it at the time in fact, was Pike 1943. Pike found strong
inconsistencies in Bloomfield's use of the term. I cannot recall whether
T. Bever discussed taxemes in his 1967 MIT dissertation on Bloomfield.

It is pretty much always the case that empirical issues emerge when one
carefully considers similar alternatives. Historical research is not
necessary for current research, but knowledge of the literature is. One
cannot excuse poor literature review (and skipping Bloomfield always
falls under this) on the basis that 'one knows of no empirical
consequence'. That of course would be circular. Research always involves
the law of diminishing returns on reading, writing, and experimentation.
One has to stop sometime at each phase.

So I wasn't being critical, nor did I have any axe to grind. Just
looking for some information.

Peace,

Dan