concord, agreement and suppletion

Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy andrew.carstairs-mccarthy at CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Wed Jan 15 23:20:15 UTC 2003

Hi all

I don't understand Ora's point (a) below.  I think Rolf is right:
declension class is *by definition* something that isn't involved in
agreement (though see below for a little further comment).  This
definition in no way entails that gender and declension class cannot
coexist in the same language; they do in Latin, Russian and many
other languages, as Ora rightly says.

I think some confusion may arise through a tendency I've noticed (an
unfortunate one, I think) to treat declension class membership as if
it were a morphosyntactic feature, just like gender, number,
definiteness, etc. Yet declension class is not morpho*syntactic*, but
purely morphological: it belongs to 'morphology by itself' (if I dare
use that phrase to a DM audience!).

My 'little further comment' concerns the weak, strong and mixed
'declensions' of German adjectives: the suffix that the adjective
carries depends on what suffix, if any, a preceding determiner has.
This looks superficially like a sort of declensional *dis*agreement,
or dissimilation. But in any case it is not 'declension class
agreement', because determiners are not assignable to declension
classes in German. Rather, what it shows is that there are factors
other than gender that can exert a superficially gender-like
syntagmatic influence on inflectional behaviour. I talk about this
briefly, along with an Afrikaans and a Georgian example, in section
4.4 of my article 'Inflection classes, gender and the Principle of
Contrast' in Language 70 (1994), 737-88.

Best
Andrew

--
Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy