morphosyntactic feature geometries

Daniel L. Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Sun Feb 29 19:03:09 UTC 2004

On Saturday, Feb 28, 2004, at 23:26 Europe/London, Alana Johns wrote:

> Regarding the recent discussion of the dual and its interpretation, I
> thought I would mention something I know but have not investigated
> fully. This is that in at least one dialect of Inuktitut which is known
> to have a dual, I have a story from a monolingual speaker where the
> topic of the story is a couple (isolated), and they are consistently
> referred to by the plural. It is possible that other dialects (e.g.
> Labrador Inuttut) would not allow this so it has been on my agenda for
> some time to investigate this more thoroughly. Alana

Alana,

I think that number can often be used for different illocutionary
effects (e.g. the obvious 'imperial we'). Thus its meaning is perhaps
not always literal. Has anyone done a detailed study of number in
Inuttut discourse?

Dan

Daniel L. Everett
Professor of Phonetics & Phonology