syncretism w/o paradigms

Daniel L. Everett dan.everett at MAN.AC.UK
Sun Feb 29 19:10:01 UTC 2004

Heidi,

Hey. The arguments against the status of paradigms don't seem to pay
much attention to recent work on  'periphrastic paradigms', so far as I
am aware. So work by Ackerman, Stump, myself, and others on languages
in which paradigms can include phrases might be more supportive than
perhaps Jonathan knew (this work is all pretty new). In a recent ms
(Liminal Categories, on my website) - which I am currently splitting
into two papers - the first part deals with pronominal paradigms in
Wari that are 100% periphrastic, yet must be treated as paradigms.

If phrases can occupy cells of paradigms, then principles of paradigm
construction don't seem reduceable to morphological principles like
'impoverishment'.

Dan

Daniel L. Everett
Professor of Phonetics & Phonology