syncretism w/o paradigms

Jonathan David Bobaljik jonathan.bobaljik at MCGILL.CA
Mon Mar 1 20:01:20 UTC 2004

>Oh good, I thought this would get a rise out of you!  In the original
>Halle & Marantz story, Agr is inserted post-syntactically.  If so,
>Impoverishment *could* occur before agreement (in the sense of
>detailed feature-copying, not in the sense of abstract syntactic
>agreement).  If Impoverishment *must* occur before feature-copying
>(or *must* affect copied features as well as the originals), then the
>theory is stronger -- more potential evidence for Impoverishment.  I
>don't know if there's evidence against the stronger theory.  Do you?
>
>Cheers,
>Martha

One of the standard arguments for
unification-based approaches to
underspecification in theoretical treatments of
agreement (see Chapter 2 of Pollard & Sag, later:
Kathol; Wechsler & Zlatic's book, etc) is that
systematically non-expressed features enter into
agreement relations. As Steve Wechsler puts it in
a recent paper on this: "agreement systems can
evince distinctions that are not reflected in the
morphological paradigms themselves."

The example Pollard & Sag start with is 1,2
person pronouns, which are unspecified for gender
in many I-E languages, but trigger gender
agreement:

I could say:		Je suis intelligent.
Martha could say:	Je suis intelligente.

There appears to be a markedness generalization,
say a filter of the Noyer kind: *[person, gender]
= gender distinctions restricted to the third
person. This filter constrains possible
vocabulary items in these languages, both
pronouns and agreement morphemes (no word class
marks both person and gender). But--on the
assumption that agreement is
copying/matching--the controller must be fully
specified for features. The subject must be [1 sg
f] when Martha is speaking, this is matched on
the targets, even though no single vocabulary
item can spell out all of the features.

This is, perhaps, evidence that agreement is not
sensitive to the effects of Noyer-filters. If
Noyer filters are instantiated via impoverishment
(gender --> Ø / person; certainly not the only
way to do this), then impoverishment happens
after agreement.

I suspect this is general. One standard type of
argument for underspecification is that features
are not morphologically signalled on (some class
of) controllers, but enter into agreement
nevertheless.

(What I have suggested above is of course not the
only way of looking at this data. Pollard & Sag
are ambivalent about these examples, using them
to motivate unification rather than
copying/matching on the one hand (which has the
same effect as agreement before impoverishment;
hence the same examples are used by Stump to
argue for realization = underspecified vocabulary
items partially spelling out a fully-specified
syntax), but as a hybrid system of grammatical
and pragmatic agreement later in the chapter.)

Is this more or less what you were looking for?

-Jonathan

--
Jonathan David Bobaljik

tel: (860) 486-0153