paradigms

Heidi Harley hharley at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Mar 12 20:46:06 UTC 2004

Hi Andrew CmC!

(I think you summed up the criteria relevant to the paradigm debate very
concisely, btw)

Just a quick I'm-out-of-it question:

You wrote:

 (The references
 from before 1994 assume a now superseded version of the 'paradigm
 economy' idea, but the data should still be of interest and perhaps
 even some of the discussion.)

I only ever had a tenuous hold on the paradigm economy idea, and since I
haven't been thinking about these things much for a very long time, I'm
even more sketchy on it now. Did the original version of paradigm
economy predict something like Williams' Instantiated Basic Paradigm
requirement, such that there would be some maximally complex paradigm
in a language, and the syncretisms of that paradigm are carried over to
all the other simpler paradigms, plus some? Or did paradigm economy
only make claims about the cross-classifications predicted by having a
certain number of distinct affixes?

I guess what I really want to know is whether there's some paper of
yours that details the evolution of the paradigm economy idea, from its
former to its new instantiation, with the reasons for the changes?

i'll have to look at your replies to bobajik and adger, bejar & harbor
-- didn't know they were out there! that would be a great collection of
stuff to have archived online somewhere together --

:) hh