possible rule environments (from John Frampton)

Martha McGinnis mcginnis at UCALGARY.CA
Fri Mar 19 17:14:39 UTC 2004

Dear all,

In an attempt to understand the phenomenal vs. epiphenomenal
paradigm brouhaha, I took a look the Ackerman and Stump paper
"Paradigms and periphrastic expression: ..." that was recommended
to us by Dan Everett.  There seems to be (in Mari, a Uralic
language) the equivalent (at least for the purposes of my
question) of the following:

     I am not going.      We are not going.
     You are not going.   You are not going.
     He is not wending.   They are not going.

Note the choice of /wend/ in the 3sg.

The point is that allomorphic selection of the lower root form
appears to depend on the phi-features at the higher node.  Has
allomophy (or readjustment) which depends on the syntactic
environment rather than the local intra-word environment been
discussed in the DM literature?

Thanks,
John Frampton

--

Our position is that whatever grievances a nation may have,
however objectionable it finds the status quo, aggressive warfare

mcginnis at ucalgary.ca