engl. affix reduplication

Andrew McIntyre mcintyre at RZ.UNI-LEIPZIG.DE
Fri May 14 08:09:37 UTC 2004

Dear colleagues,
I recently sent a query to the Linguistlist inquiring about the
reduplication and even retriplication of affixes with phrasal verbs
(particle verbs) in cases like
1a. fixer-up-er, filler-in-er
b. washers-uppers
c. giver-out-er-er, fixer-up-er-er
d. picker-up-ee ('one who is picked up')
e. looker-atter
I was wanting to ask if anybody has encountered attempts at explaining these
phenomena in the literature. I didn't get many responses, so I thought I
would post the query in this list on the offchance that there are DM list
members who don't subscribe to Linguistlist queries.
If you are thinking of answering, check the fuller presentation under:
www.linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-1346.html#1
I will summarise any responses I get on the Linguistlist in a while.
Regards,
Andrew