DM and John J. McCarthy

J. Haugen jh0267 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 6 21:48:25 UTC 2009

Hi Everybody,

Yes, I tried to combine a DM-style morpho-syntax with an OT-style
morpho-phonology, but in my model DM builds the syntax in the standard way
and then the Vocabulary Items are inserted at Morphological Structure, which
then serve as the inputs for the OT (Correspondence Theoretic) phonology.

In my dissertation I was treating reduplicants (RED morphemes) as VI’s
inserted into syntax in order to spell out syntacticosemantic features, but
RED VIs must get their phonological identity from base-reduplicant
correspondence, as per CT. So, as Heidi said, in my version DM outputs were
OT inputs.

(If anybody is curious, the revised version of my dissertation was published
in 2008 as volume 117 in John Benjamins’ Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics
Today series:

*Morphology at the Interfaces: Reduplication and Noun Incorporation in
Uto-Aztecan *).

I’ll be very interested to check out McCarthy’s discussion, thanks to Sasson
for the heads-up!

best,

Jason

--------