Defining issues in Ed Ling

Dick Hudson dick at LINGUISTICS.UCL.AC.UK
Mon Dec 15 13:05:44 UTC 2003

In England (and maybe more generally in the UK), the top problem from the
educational point of view is how to improve writing, and especially the
writing of boys in years 7-9. Linguistics is welcome in educational
circles, but our contributions tend to be 'technical', and especially to do
with details of grammar. It would be lovely to have a well-developed theory
of language and education - how language and education shape each other -
but we haven't got one so the educationists muddle through without us. It
would be particularly helpful to have empirically-supported theories of:
a. how explicit instruction influences language skills
b. progress in the language skills valued by schools (i.e. a 'roadmap' of
development through the school years).
I've tried to work through some of these issues in an article which is due
out next spring in the Journal of Linguistics. It's available at
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/ed&lgx.htm.
         Dick Hudson

At 01:54 15/12/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I think there is a need for concepts like communicative concepts to be (re)
>examined and I like Leslie's proposed integrated model of sociolinguistic and
>cognitive approaches to SLA. However, while these are challenges for the
>field, it's unclear to me whether these are in the spirit of the "problems"
>referred to in the quoted material from Spolsky in WPEL 18(2). The
>investigation of theoretical problems such as these (comm competence etc.)
>might help to hone and/or strengthen the discipline and perhaps then help to
>solve real-world problems - problems like the gap between school languages
>and
>home languages and ways of improving grammatical accuracy in writing. For me,
>the quote means that we should begin with a problem that exists in the world
>and then apply the theoretical tools from fields like linguistics,
>sociolinguistics, sociology, anthropology, SLA, etc. in an attempt to solve
>the problem. In educational linguistics, the problems of greatest interest
>exist in and around formal and informal education. As Hornberger (2001, p.19)
>says, "The starting point is always the practice of education and the
>focus is
>squarely on (the role of) language (in) learning and teaching." Thus, we
>begin
>with an educational problem, one that concerns (the role of) language (in)
>learning and teaching, and look to our theoretical lenses to help solve the
>problem. My top problem would be the linguistic and cultural hurdles that
>language minority students face in schools and/or the fostering of
>multilingual education (policies) in schools. Related to this might be the
>preservation of minority languages around the world.
>
>Perhaps, as Leslie suggests, we have levels of problems, both educational and
>theoretical. Ideally, by working on the theoretical problems, we are
>developing better tools to solve the practical problems and perhaps vice
>versa.
>

>Quoting Bernard Spolsky <spolsb at mail.biu.ac.il>:
>
> > For me, I suspect, the "top problem" remains the gap between school
> > languages and home languages, and the lack of a theoretical model that can
> > form the basis for practical ways of overcoming the language barrier to
> > education facing so many pupils.
> > Bernard Spolsky   spolsb at mail.biu.ac.il

Richard (= Dick) Hudson

Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London,
Gower Street, London WC1E  6BT.
+44(0)20 7679 3152; fax +44(0)20 7383 4108;
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm