Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bernard Spolsky spolsb at MAIL.BIU.AC.IL
Mon Dec 15 18:51:26 UTC 2003

Dan
Tests, I suppose, but rather careful observation and sustained interaction
to see how the tests are selective..
Bernard Spolsky   spolsb at mail.biu.ac.il

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Dan Douglas
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 8:42 PM
To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: RE: Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bernard et al.:  Well, that's partly why I suggested revisiting the
BICS/CALP distinction.  And while I agree that assessments aren't the
answer, they're likely to be part of the answer, particularly since teachers
and pupils are increasingly faced with often poorly designed tests and
unjustified interpretations of test performance.  The bottom line is
understanding the nature of language use in the educational context, it
seems to me, and, as you suggest, tests can be used to encourage teachers to
discover the complex language systems pupils already control.

Cheers,
Dan