Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bernard Spolsky spolsb at MAIL.BIU.AC.IL
Mon Dec 15 18:53:42 UTC 2003

Francis
Up to a point, and that point is where you say "how to market it."
Bernard
Bernard Spolsky   spolsb at mail.biu.ac.il

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Francis M Hult
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 8:15 PM
To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Defining issues in Ed Ling

I agree that educational linguistics must be 'problem' (or issue) oriented,
drawing
on multiple relevant fields to study and address those issues/problems.  At
the same
time, I think we must be careful not to take concepts from disciplines
without
considering if they are applicable to those issues and problems as is.  In
fact, I
think the direction between educational linguistics and areas like
(socio)linguistics, anthropology, sociology, etc. runs in two ways (or at
least it
should).  What I mean here is that we should feel free to be critical of
disciplinarily situated concepts, refining them or furthering them as our
needs
warrant.  In this way, I don't see educational linguists as 'end users' of
concepts
developed elsewhere.  We have a hand in developing concepts too.  In fact,
it is
here where I see one of the major defining areas of educational linguistics
(and
Dick mentioned this too): We need to craft a well-developed theory of
language and
education.  In doing this, we must draw on relevant concepts from a variety
of
disciplines but, in essence, we are doing so to enage in our own theory
building.
Solid theory building for educational linguistics, of course, must inlcude
the kind of
bridging Leslie suggests.  While we may each, as individual researchers,
have
different points of interest and concentration we need to think holistically
about
the field of educational linguistics and what it has to offer (and how to
market it
convincingly to policymakers, educators, parents, students, and other
stakeholders).

Francis

> > I think there is a need for concepts like communicative concepts to
> > be
(re) > examined and I like Leslie's proposed integrated model of
sociolinguistic and