English-Only Rules fail all the time (an example).

Stephan H Hornberger shornbe2 at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Dec 16 02:41:22 UTC 2003

The check-out man at one of my local supermarkets (Fresh Gorcer, I
believe) -- in Wynnewood (PA) -- said, when I addressed him in Korean,
that he would be fired if he conversed with me in Korean; but, because
my Korean was good, he was responding me in Korean anyway. He held up
the line of people waiting in line behind me because, he said, he did
not know how I knew that he was Korean. He asked how I knew how to
address him in Korean, without one word in English. I told him that 1)
he looked like a Korean; 2) his English sounded Korean; and (3) that the
way he moved his body was like many Koreans that I knew. He was very
pleased, and very surprised, and wanted to talk more Korean with me (but
NOT at work).