Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bernard Spolsky spolsb at MAIL.BIU.AC.IL
Tue Dec 16 03:53:12 UTC 2003

Francis
That is a much better way to put it.  It seems that at the heart of the
problem is a weakness linguists have with language - we are better at
studying it than using it to tell people what we have found.  We call
ourselves "linguists" and complain that people think we mean we speak
languages; we advocate bilingual education, and complain that people vote
for teaching English, etc. So communicating with the stakeholders deserves
high priority.
Bernard

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Francis M Hult
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 12:28 AM
To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: Re: Defining issues in Ed Ling

Perhaps 'market' was not an ideal word choice since it implies a product.  I
meant
to suggest that we need to consider (as a field) how to get stakeholders on
board with our approach--especially the folks who make important educational

decisions.  It seems to me that many in our field lament that our work is
not taken
into account in educational decision making.  I do think it crucial to
develop
working relationships with parents, students, teachers, and administrators
as well as
policymakers.  This would seem to involve some public relations.  What do
you think?

Francis

> > Francis
> Up to a point, and that point is where you say "how to market it." >
Bernard