Defining issues in Ed Ling

Bernard Spolsky spolsb at MAIL.BIU.AC.IL
Tue Dec 16 05:12:48 UTC 2003

Dick
I agree we are on the way. An expanded Common European Framework (for first
as well as other languages and with plurilingualism built in) would be an
excellent start on the "what it is" although still lacking the needed
connection between structures and functions. It would also give Dan his
specifications for possible assessing. The how to teach presumably is how to
encourage the expansion of control of that framework.
No more complex than the genome.
Bernard

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Dick Hudson
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 11:40 PM
To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: RE: Defining issues in Ed Ling

Dan: Thanks. That's what I hoped you meant. That "rich repertoire of
linguistic choices" is the heart of the matter. What we need to understand
better is (a) what it is and (b) how to teach it. A challenging agenda, but
I think we're on the way (even if we're still far nearer the beginning of
the road than its end).
Dick