Defining issues in Ed Ling

Dan Douglas dandoug at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Dec 16 17:35:33 UTC 2003

Richard et al.: "...we need to work together with people from [all sorts of
other] disci[plines."  Yes indeed, though it strikes me that, given the
turns the discussion is now taking, educational linguistics begins to
overlap with the fields of language for specific purposes and rhetoric and
professional communication (insofar as it deals with academic language).

Cheers,
Dan

At 09:53 AM 12/16/2003, you wrote:

>Dan-
>
>you said
>
>| By way of excuse, all we
>| linguists know about is linguistics and so of course we tend to give it
>| prominence in any discussion.
>
>Which brings us back to Francis Hult's point that we need to draw on
>ideas from all sorts of other disciplines. I would go further and
>suggest that we need to work together with people from those
>disciplines.
>
>Richard
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Richard Barwell
>Graduate School of Education
>University of Bristol
>35 Berkeley Square
>Bristol, BS8 1JA, UK
>+44 (0)117 33 14276

Professor, TESL/Applied Linguistics Program
Co-editor, Language Testing
English Department
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011, USA