Feedback in different environments

Shannon Sauro totoro2 at POBOX.UPENN.EDU
Wed Nov 12 20:30:32 UTC 2003

So far, I've received a couple of very helpful responses pointing me
toward relevant literature which I've included below for others who are
also interested in this topic.

Might I suggest that anyone else with something to add to this thread
e-mail the list instead of e-mailing me directly.  This might be a better
way to actually share ideas.

Cheers!
Shannon Sauro

------------ Resources on Feedback in Different Environments ---------------

>From a list member at Northern Arizona University

Porte, G. K. (1997). The etiology of poor second language writing: The
influence of perceived teacher preferences on second language revision
strategies. Journal of Second Language Writing, 6, 61-78.
- This article doesn't deal specifically with the differences between ESL
and EFL but it does mention a bunch about what feedback is like (very
grammar-focused) in one specific local, Spain.
Peacock, M. (2001). Match or mismatch? Learning styles and teaching
styles in EFL. International Journal of Applied Linguistics, 11, 1-20.
Schulz, R. A. (2001). Cultural differences in student and teacher
perceptions concerning the role of grammar instruction and corrective
feedback. The Modern Language Journal, 85, 244-258. - I would definitely
check this one out.
McCargar, D. (1993). Teacher and student role expectations:
Cross-cultural differences and implications. The Modern Language Journal,
77, 192-207.
Hyland, F. (2000). ESL writers and feedback: Giving more autonomy to
students. Language Teaching Research, 4, 33-54.
- This one might give an idea as to what one trend in ESL is.
Tse, L. (2000). Student perceptions of foreign language study: A
qualitative analysis of foreign language autobiographies. The Modern
Language Journal, 84, 69-84.

and from a list member in the UK

Catriona Scott (2003) Interaction in the literacy hour: a case study of
learners with English as an additional language. In 'Applied Linguistics and
Communities of Practice' Ed. Srikant Sarangi and Theo Van Leeuwen.  British
Association for Applied Linguistics  18. 184-202.