NWAVE -- New Ways of Analyzing Variation -- Oct 9-12, 2003

NWAVE 32 in Philadelphia nwave at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Sun Sep 14 05:01:55 UTC 2003

*** APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE POSTINGS ***

A few announcements as we approach the final four weeks before NWAVE:

1. Please be reminded that pre-registration for NWAVE ends on September 20.
Registrants who send their forms after the 20th will be charged an
additional $25. If you participate in NWAVE, you must register. The form may
be downloaded from our web site: http://ling.upenn.edu/NWAVE

2. If you are presenting a paper/poster and your abstract is not yet on out
web site, please send it to our webmaster, Marjorie Pak
<mpak at babel.ling.upenn.edu> following these guidelines:
Please add your name just below the abstract title, remove the
keywords, and save the file under your last name (e.g., "smith.doc"). If
possible, we would like to receive each abstract in two separate formats
- one text-based (.doc, .rtf, or .txt) and one in PDF. If you do not
have PDF-writing capabilities, we can do the conversion for you as long
as the file does not include phonetic fonts (in which case we recommend
that you set up a legend using standard ASCII characters).

3. Crash space: If you are a student presenter and wish to stay with a local
Penn grad student for the duration of the conference, and have not yet
informed us, please e-mail Uri Horesh <urih at babel.ling.upenn.edu> By
September 20 with your request, indicating any restrictions you may have
(gender, pets, smoking, etc.). If you are a Penn person willing to host
someone, please e-mail Uri as well (if you have not already done so).

4. If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, please read
carefully:

Andorra     Iceland         Norway
Australia   Ireland         Portugal
Austria     Italy           San Marino
Belgium     Japan           Singapore
Brunei      Liechtenstein   Slovenia
Denmark     Luxembourg      Spain
Finland     Monaco          Sweden
France      the Netherlands Switzerland
Germany     New Zealand     United Kingdom

As of October 1, 2003 (May 15 for citizens of Belgium), you must have either
a Machine Readable Passport or a visa from your local U.S. embassy or
consulate to enter the United States. This is a big change, as citizens of
the countries listed above did not need visas in the past to enter the U.S.
for short-term visits (and still do not if their passports are machine
readable). Some countries have been issuing Machine Readable Passports for
many years, but others only started to do so recently. Please verify whether
your passport is Machine Readable (your travel agent can probably help you
determine that), and if it is not, please apply for a B1/B2 visa for the
U.S. as soon as possible, or apply for a new passport. In most cases, we
believe that the latter will be quicker, although this may vary from country
to country.

For detailed information on this new regulation, please read the U.S. State
Department web pages at: http://www.travel.state.gov/vwp.html

5. Communication with the NWAVE Committee should be done in the following
manner:

- For money/registration issues:  Sherry Ash <ash at babel.ling.upenn.edu>
- For comments on our web site:   Marjorie Pak <mpak at babel.ling.upenn.edu>
- For poster session information: Bill Labov <wlabov at cis.upenn.edu>
- For all other matters: Gillian Sankoff & Uri Horesh
                         <nwave at babel.ling.upenn.edu>

We hope to see all of yous(!) safe and sound in Philly on October 9.

The NWAVE 32 Committee