'Pop' and the Art of Language Teaching

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Apr 9 02:46:29 UTC 2004

Interesting article.  But it tends to oversimplify some of the bigger issues,
as journalists love to do.

First, it's an issue all of us language educators constantly confront. And I
don't even mean second-language educators. In high school, the last thing I
wanted to do was read a novel some old teacher told me I had to read because
it was a "classic." *YAWN*.  Did I miss out on some wonderful books by Cliff-
noting my way through them? Probably. I've actually gone back and read a few
since then. But at 16, that's how many (most?) kids think. It just exacerbates
the problem by doing it in a foreign language. And for every kid who wants to
learn English as a foreign language to listen to music, read Harry Potter or
watch Hollywood productions, there are plenty who don't want to learn it at
all. It's the nature of the beast.

On a more annoying level, this kind of comment kills me:
"One way would be to increase the curriculum time in which
Chinese is used. If a student is already good at English,
why not have him learn chemistry or biology or history in
Chinese, or a combination of both languages?"

In an ideal world, yes. But inevitably, if you start a comment with "why
not...?" there's probably a good reason or two. And the first one that jumps
to mind are things like finding faculty who are able, willing, and certified
to teach those subjects in both languages, or doubling the number of teachers
to have one in each language, a budgetary and logistical nightmare. Then of
course there is the problem of textbooks. They could have to be translated,
since while there are likely ample chemistry texts in eihter language, they
doubtfully cover the same material in the same way, which means students would
not be receiving as "equal" education as possible, which many (from parents to
governments) would frown upon. Plus, the schools would have to purchase both
language sets; how many of each?

Then there's the statement "if a student is already GOOD at English..."  How,
exactly, do you define "GOOD"? Especially in the sense of good enough to study
a content subject in English (or whatever L2) and still have enough bilingual
skills and vocabulary to be able to pass the almighty university entrance
examinations and other national standards tests, which may or may not be given
in the same language in which the student studied the material. (I could go
on, but I'll spare you... ;-) )

The irony is that I am glad the author brought up the frustrating situation in
which teachers and students too often find themselves. The notion of relevance
for language learners is hugely important in motivation as an element of
success. But the questions asked and assumptions underlying the simplistic
solutions proffered show the lack of true understanding the media have
regarding just what educators and education systems contend with, which makes
our jobs all the more difficult.

Okay, putting the soapbox to rest...
Laura
:-)