Here Comes the Punctuation Vigilante

Richard Hudson dick at LINGUISTICS.UCL.AC.UK
Mon Apr 19 13:15:52 UTC 2004

I think it's a wonderful book, and felt comfortable (as a linguist) with
virtually everything she said.
Dick

At 13:34 19/04/2004, you wrote:
>Actually, I have just begun reading her book (Eats, Shoots and Leaves) and
>find it very entertaining. She makes some good points, with a great sense
>of humor, too.
>
>H. Schiffman
>
>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Francis M Hult wrote:
>
> > >From Reuters
> >
> > Here Comes the Punctuation Vigilante
> > Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:38 AM ET
> >
> > By Paul Majendie
> > LONDON (Reuters) - In the land of Shakespeare, punctuation faced
> extinction until writer Lynne Truss came to the
> > rescue with a clutch of carefully placed commas and colons.
> >
> > Taking a zero tolerance approach to grammatical lapses, she wrote a
> sprightly guide to punctuation, "Eats, shoots and
> > leaves," that has sold more than half a million copies in Britain alone
> and soared to the top of bestseller lists.
> >
> > Now, honing her crusading zeal over misplaced apostrophes, Truss is off
> to the United States to ensure transatlantic
> > tidiness reigns supreme on the printed page.
> >
> > See the full article here:
> >
> > http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4701134

Dick (Richard) Hudson, FBA
Dept of Phonetics and Linguistics,
University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT
020 7679 3152; fax 020 7383 4108; www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm