Education and linguistics

John Dews jedewsua at YAHOO.COM
Fri Apr 23 16:24:10 UTC 2004

Dear Mr. Hudson and the rest of the Ed-ling list,

         I very much enjoyed Mr. Hudson's paper on why education needs linguistics and vice versa, and I couldn't agree more. We badly need such a reform here in America as well, and many of our teacher education programs are making some first steps in that direction. For instance, my university will be offering a course this Fall entitled Linguistics for Educators that is mandatory for all language arts education majors. I will be teaching in this class, using materials and approaches synthesized from a wide range of linguistic frameworks. I recently presented a paper at a linguistics conference offering a new schema for L1 language arts teachers (which naturally extends to L2 settings) that incorporates linguistics into the content area methodologies associated with grammar, literature, and composition instruction. Anyone interested in the abstract, notes, or PP is welcome to e-mail me.
       It is so wonderful to see others working in the same area, attempting to apply linguistic resources in the classroom for the public at large. Please keep up the work! Also, please continue to post such work in a forum such as this so that we can all share our work.
       Best wishes!
                                                                                      Jed Dews
                                                                            Department of English
                                                                             University of Alabama