[EDLING:406] Fwd: CFP: Writing Center Theory and Practice (2/28/05; journal issue)

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Dec 1 21:36:42 UTC 2004

----- Forwarded message from "Christopher S. Harris" <harrisc at bgnet.bgsu.edu> -----
    Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:57:34 -0700
    From: "Christopher S. Harris" <harrisc at bgnet.bgsu.edu>
 Subject: CFP: Writing Center Theory and Practice (2/28/05; journal issue)
      To: cfp at english.upenn.edu

Academic Exchange Quarterly
Summer 2005, Volume 9, Issue 2
Expanded issue up to 400+ pages.
Articles on various topics plus the following special section.
Writing Center Theory and Practice

Subject Editor:
Christopher S. Harris
 E-mail: harrisc at bgnet.bgsu.edu
Focus:
Academic Exchange Quarterly invites articles that explore issues of
theory, practice, and experience in writing center work, including
qualitative and empirical studies, discussions of pedagogy, and analyzes
of theory in three overlapping areas of inquiry.

Articles may explore how the founding and funding of writing centers
influences whom the center will serve and why. Many centers are
established initially as "remedial" centers. How does the image of the
writing center as a fix-it shop affect the work we are able to do? How
can tutors help students learn correct grammar and usage without
becoming editors? How do students and our fellow faculty members view
our work with students? Tutor education and identities vary across
writing center environments. How are tutors prepared for the work they
will do? What does good tutor education include? How should tutors be
selected? Who should direct writing centers?

Articles may also examine how writing centers are often a site of
diversity in our schools, working with varied student populations, with
varied access to technology, with varied funding, and with varied staff
populations. Students who are learning disabled, multilingual, advanced,
physically disabled, resistant, and so on, come to or are sent to our
writing centers. How can we as teachers, administrators, and tutors
adapt to our increasingly diverse student populations?

Essays for the special issue may investigate the impact of online
tutoring and writing resource Web pages offered through the writing
center. How has (or will) technology shape writing centers? How much
technology training and knowledge are necessary for strong writing
centers? How does tutoring change when the discussion of writing is via
email? What defines a successful writing center?

Who May Submit:
Writing center administrators, tutors, and teachers at all grade levels
who are involved in writing instruction.

Please identify your submission with keyword: CENTER
Submission deadline:
Regular deadline: any time until the end of February 2005.
       All accepted submissions will be published in this Summer issue,
June 2005.
Short deadline: March or April 2005.
       All accepted submissions will be published in this Summer issue
or in later issues.
Submit early and have an opportunity to be considered for Editors'
Choice and/or Monthly Exchange

Submission Procedure:
http://rapidintellect.com/AEQweb/rufen1.htm
or