[EDLING:409] Re: corpus discourse

Kathryn Howard kmhoward at GSE.UPENN.EDU
Thu Dec 2 03:10:46 UTC 2004

Could the student be referring to the Corpus of Spoken American English?
I believe that Jack (John W.) Du Bois is in charge of the corpus. His
email is dubois at linguistics.ucsb.edu <mailto:dubois at linguistics.ucsb.edu>

Here is some information from the UCSB Linguistics Dept. website about
the corpus:
UCSB is home to an exciting project involving English: the Corpus of
Spoken American English. The purpose of the Corpus project is to gather
a large number of recordings of ordinary talk from a wide variety of
people of different regional origins, ages, occupations, and ethnic and
social backgrounds. These recordings, collected from all over the United
States, include a diverse sample of the way that people use languages in
their lives, including: gossip, arguments, on-the-job talk, city council
meetings, political speeches, sermons, and classroom lectures. Several
hundred of these recordings will be published as a multi-volume book and
as a computer database on CD-ROM disks which will contain both written
transcriptions and sound. These will be made available as a research
tool for scholars and students in a variety of disciplines and for all
who are interested in twentieth century American English. The Corpus
project, which is already attracting international interest, makes UCSB
a unique site for the pursuit of research on spoken American English.