[EDLING:415] Re: REMINDER: Symposium Language Analysis, deadline: December 5

Ann Brumfit ann at BRUMFIT.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Fri Dec 3 18:57:34 UTC 2004

Please could you send me application form for the conference proper?

Ann

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Balosa
  To: ligpolicy-list at ccat.sas.upennedu ; edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
  Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 2:55 AM
  Subject: [EDLING:408] REMINDER: Symposium Language Analysis, deadline: December 5

  -----Forwarded by David Balosa/University Ministry and Service/LaSalle on 12/01/2004 09:49PM -----

    To: sdikker at taalstudio.nl
    From: "Taalstudio, Suzanne Dikker" <sdikker at taalstudio.nl>
    Date: 12/01/2004 05:08AM

    CALL for PAPERS: Symposium on Language Analysis

    7th Biennial Conference on Forensic Linguistics/Language and Law,
    Cardiff, July 1 - July 4, 2005

    Since the 1990s, language analysis has been used by a number of governments
    to help establish asylum seekers' origins. Recently, linguists have started
    to critically evaluate the procedure (Eades et al., 2003; Arends and Eades,
    in press), thus providing a basis for the development of professional
    standards and a scientific methodology. In June 2004, the Language and
    National Origin Group, an international group of linguists published the
    Guidelines for the Use of Language Analysis in Relation to Questions of
    National Origin in Refugee Cases (see www.iafl.org, the home page of the
    International Association for Forensic Linguistics). The guidelines provide
    a useful and necessary starting point for the development of professional
    standards, but a lot of work remains to be done.

    In July 2005, the IAFL will organize her 7th Biennial Conference on
    Forensic Linguistics/Language and Law. De Taalstudio is planning to
    organize a symposium on Language Analysis in refugee cases. By organizing a
    thematic session, we hope to interest scholars for this new field of
    forensic linguistics, and to create an opportunity for face-to-face
    discussion and expertise-sharing. The symposium will last 120 minutes, of
    which we would like to dedicate 20 minutes to discussion.

    Hereby, we invite abstracts for a 15 minute presentation on any topic
    related to Language Analysis as it is used in asylum cases, preferably
    discussing the use and implementation of the aforementioned Guidelines.

    If you are interested to participate, please send an abstract before
    December 5th by e-mail to sdikker at taalstudio.nl. With a selection of the
    abstracts we receive, we will put together a symposium proposal to the IAFL
    organizing committee. By the end of the year, we will inform all submitters
    whether or not their abstract has been included in the symposium proposal.

    For your abstract, please follow the IAFL regulations:
    Abstracts should be 250-300 words long and should include:
    o Title of the presentation
    o Name(s) of the presenter(s)
    o Affiliation of the presenter(s)
    o Both e-mail and postal addresses
    o Any special audio-visual/IT requirements

    Suzanne Dikker
    Maaike Verrips

    De Taalstudio is a small Dutch company that specializes in linguistic
    projects and products.
    Since October 2003, we provide language analysis, contra-expertise or a
    second opinion by professional linguist in many languages. Please visit us
    at www.taalstudio.nl to obtain more information about our activities.

    sdikker at taalstudio.nl

    de Taalstudio
    Postbus 12