[EDLING:499] RE: A CALL TO ACTION RESEARCH

Daryl Gordon daryl at TEMPLE.EDU
Mon Dec 20 14:39:29 UTC 2004

Thanks for sending this piece on action research.  Next semester I'm
teaching an SLA course in which students plan and conduct a research
projects.  I've been considering ways to encourage my students to pose SLA
questions which bubble up from their own teaching and learning experiences,
so this is especially useful.

Any ideas of other articles which might be helpful to SLA students in this
process?  Last semester I assigned Doughty and Long (2000) Eliciting Second
Language Speech Data and selections from Wray, A., Trott, K. & A. Bloomer
(1998) Projects in Linguistics: A Practical Guide to Researching Language.
If folks have suggestions for other readings which might stimulate their
development of research questions, I'd welcome them.

All best,

Daryl Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
[mailto:owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu] On Behalf Of Tamara Warhol
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 4:28 PM
To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Subject: [EDLING:493] A CALL TO ACTION RESEARCH

A CALL TO ACTION RESEARCH

By Patricia K. Freitag

Do you wonder why some students use effective learning strategies while
others
are frustrated when learning in a second language? Are you curious about
what
makes some activities particularly effective in your classroom or why some
well-planned lessons fail to produce the results you intended? Are you
trying
something new that you would like to evaluate? Action research is one way to
answer your questions.

"When a teacher consciously identifies a problem, formulates an approach to
its
solution, collects data in at least a somewhat formal sense, and verbalizes
some
conclusions, the process constitutes classroom action research."
(Kochendorfer,
1997)

Action research is a systematic process of inquiry that helps teachers to
understand more about the teaching and learning process, reflect on the
effectiveness of their work, explore the underlying principles of practice,
and
make informed instructional decisions. Like other forms of research, action
research uses specific data collection techniques to gather feedback.

Reflection on student portfolios or assessment responses can provide a
wealth of
insight and feedback regarding student learning strategies. In other cases,
questionnaires or diagnostic interviews can be used to access student
attitudes,
thinking, and prior knowledge. The most important thing is to collect
evidence
that will answer your question. These data can also help you share your
results
with others and perhaps persuade them to take action as well.

Many teachers have used action research successfully to resolve their own
questions of practice. Teachers have investigated student learning
strategies,
changes due to portfolio assessment, student attitudes, and the effective
use of
technology for language learning.

A variety of data sources can be used to inform instructional decisions,
evaluate curriculum, or investigate student learning strategies. Classroom
assignments can be used or adapted to provide data relevant to your research
questions. Simply by administering the same assignment under different
conditions, i.e. using a computer versus a paper and pencil format, student
work
can reveal differences in teaching strategies. Of course you have to be fair
-
avoid bias and be open to the possibility that the results will surprise
you.
Students can complete short questionnaires or even write short evaluation
statements that reveal their attitudes or strategies for problem solving.
Older
students can write journal responses. All students can participate in
portfolio
and performance assessments to measure changes over time or achievement
outcomes.

Some teacher researchers choose to work on very small projects at first.
Perhaps
investigating a single student or cooperative learning group to find out
what
they already know about a topic. Finding out what students really think
"before"
they start learning can be fascinating. Often we are surprised to find out
how
much they already know! Finding out can change what we choose to teach, how
much
emphasis we place on each topic, and how to pace our instruction.
Qualitative
data such as interviews, think-aloud protocols, and anecdotes can be used to
answer questions about what students know and how they think.
As teacher/researchers share their data and interpretations with others
connections are made and new theories are generated. Teacher researchers are
energized by their work and look forward to their classes when each meeting
is
an opportunity to collect data, solve problems, and share their results.

Some quick tips for conducting your own research:

    * Make a time line and outline the steps of your study.
    * Integrate data collection into classroom activities.
    * Record and organize your data along the way.
    * Plan time to reflect on your data, draw conclusions, and share your
results.

Start with a question that captures your own interest, read what others
think
about the problem or issue and PLAN TO TAKE ACTION!

--
Tamara Warhol
PhD Student
warholt at dolphin.upenn.edu