[EDLING:500] RE: A CALL TO ACTION RESEARCH

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Dec 20 17:04:11 UTC 2004

Possible references for action research:

Allwright, D. (1997). Standards for Teacher Research: Quality and Sustainability
in Teacher-Research. TESOL Quarterly, 31(2), 368-370.

Cochran-Smith, M. & Lytle, S. L. (1993). Inside/outside: Teacher research and
knowledge.  New York : Teachers College Press.

Crookes, G. (1993). Action Research for Second Language Teachers: Going beyond
Teacher Research. Applied Linguistics, 14(2), 130-144.

Crookes, G., & Chandler, P. M. (2001). Introducing Action Research into the
Education of Postsecondary Foreign Language Teachers. Foreign Language Annals,
34(2), 131-140.

Cumming, A. E. (1994). Alternatives in TESOL Research: Descriptive,
Interpretive, and Ideological Orientations. TESOL Quarterly, 28(4), 673-703.

Dutertre, A. (2000). A Teacher's Investigation of Her Own Teaching. Applied
Language Learning, 11(1), 99-122.

Freeman, D. (1995). Asking "Good" Questions: Perspectives from Qualitative
Research on Practice, Knowledge, and Understanding in Teacher Education. TESOL
Quarterly, 29(3), 581-585.

Freeman, D. (1996). "To Take Them at Their Word": Language Data in the Study of
Teachers' Knowledge. Harvard Educational Review, 66(4), 732-761.

Freeman, D., & Johnson, K. E. (1998). Reconceptualizing the Knowledge-Base of
Language Teacher Education. TESOL Quarterly, 32(3), 397-417.

James, P. (2001). Teachers in action: Tasks for in-service language teacher
education and development Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Thorne, C., & Qiang, W. (1996). Action Research in Language Teacher Education.
ELT Journal, 50(3), 254-262.

Wallace, M. J. (1998). Action research for language teachers.  Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.

Zephir, F. (2000). Focus on Form and Meaning: Perspectives of Developing
Teachers and Action-Based Research. Foreign Language Annals, 33(1), 19-30.

You may also want to check out the journal Teacher Trainer.

warholt at dolphin.upenn.edu