[EDLING:504] CFP: Literacies/New Horizons for Learning

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Dec 31 13:54:03 UTC 2004

http://www.newhorizons.org/journal/newjournal.htm

----- Forwarded message from Manka M. Varghese -----

Dear friends and colleagues,

My colleague at the University of Washington, Jennifer Stone and I are
co-editing a special issue of the online journal, New Horizons for
Learning.  This special issue is on literacies.  We are writing to ask
you whether you, any of your students, or other colleagues you may
know of, might be interested in submitting something for the journal.

The description of the type of articles we are looking for is the
following:

Whereas US schools--through standards, curricular choices, and
assessments--are adopting increasingly narrow versions of what counts
as literacy, teachers are faced with increasing cultural and language
diversity and ever-widening arrays of textual possibilities.  We use
the term "literacies" to highlight the range of opportunities to
communicate that young people currently engage in both in and out of
school.  In this issue, we will examine the following themes: 1)
linguistic and cultural diversity, 2) the role of technology in
creating new avenues and forms for communication, 3) forms of
representation beyond print (talk, images, etc.), 4) attention to
students' literacy practices in their out-of-school lives.

The journal is for practitioners and if you would like more
information on the it, please check out their website:
http://www.newhorizons.org/.  The journal is obviously not
peer-reviewed but in the month of November alone, it had 5 million
hits, so it has a wide readership.  Even if it may not be something
you may be interested in or you find yourself too busy at present, it
would be a great way for your students to publish their work.

The number of words per article would range from 1500 to 2000 words,
and the deadline for submissions would be the beginning of February.

Thanks very much for considering this.

Manka

Manka M. Varghese
Assistant Professor