Interested very much in Linguistics as a major

Siobhan Casson scasson at KLRC.ORG.AU
Tue Feb 17 04:15:51 UTC 2004

The following are introductory texts in a variety of fields. All of them
have been used by first year linguistics undergraduates in both
linguistics and education

Graddol, D., Cheshire, J. and Swann, J. (1994) Describing Language.
Buckingham: Open University Press
Foster-Cohen, S. H. (1999) An Introduction to Child Language
Development. London: Longman
Wardaugh, R. (1998 3rd edition) An Introduction to Sociolinguistics.
Oxford: Blackwell
Cook, V. (1993) Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition. London:
MacMillan
Goswami, U. and Bryant, P. (1990) Phonological Skills and Learning to
Read. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates

Also, you might enjoy reading Steven Pinker's book The Language
Instinct. It is not really introductory but it is written with humour
and real life examples. He talks about many different areas of language
and language study, so it might stimulate your interest in a particular
area.

Siobhan Casson