[EDLING:242] NPR program on Language(s)

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 9 14:36:39 UTC 2004

This messages comes from the Linguist List by way of the Language Policy List.
It may be of interest to Edling members too.

Message 1: NPR Radio Program on Languages
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:19:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rick Rickerson <erickerson at comcast.net>
Subject: NPR Radio Program on Languages

I'm director of of the language division at the College of Charleston and
am just back from LSA Headquarters in Washington. I had a chat with Maggie
Reynolds, who referred me to the LSA website. I'm about to do an NPR radio
program in support of the soon-to-be-proclaimed (by the US Senate) Year of
Languages in the US. There will be 6-minute segments on language topics of
interest to the general public, starting in January and airing throughout
2005. Since it's part of a nationwide celebration of language, I'm asking
professionals around the country to suggest topics and, if possible,
contribute scripts. Would any of you be interested in doing so?  Or could
I ask you to look over a list of topics and give me the name and e-mail
address of linguists you think might want to do a piece on that subject?
These are questions like: How do babies learn to talk; Dialect vs.
language; What's a Pidgin; What causes foreign accents; Indian languages
of Southeast US; Is ASL a language; the Significance of Rosetta Stone; How
close are Spanish and Portuguese; etc. I would appreciate your help and
suggestions!

http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-2030.html

----- End forwarded message -----