[EDLING:252] Re: phonology question

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Jul 15 17:04:09 UTC 2004

Sounds good... but wouldn't the "ti" in words like "relate" and "collaborate"
become voiced, in that case? they have the liquid+ei...  Yet we
say "relaSHun," not "relaZHun."

It's still the spelling issue that's weird. In all the examples given below,
when the suffix is attached, all voiced fricatives are spelled with S, not T.
Whenever the T is used, it is voiceless. Can anyone think of another word that
ends in TION (letters) instead of SION, where the TI is pronounced /zh/?