[EDLING:232] CFP: Merging Cultures: Asian American Literature

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jun 25 16:38:46 UTC 2004

CALL FOR PAPERS

“MERGING CULTURES: ASIAN AMERICAN LITERATURE IN THE CLASSROOM

 A panel discussion to be held at the

14TH Annual Central New York Conference on Language and Literature

at Cortland College of the State University of New York

Conference Theme: “Haunting the Future: the Academy’s Coming Community

October 29 - 31, 2004

Deadline for Proposals:   July 20, 2004

Chair:  Mary E. Fakler
	SUNY New Paltz

Diverse campusus need to discover and discuss diverse literatures.  This
session will include papers on ways of reading and teaching Asian American
literature in the traditional and online classroom.

Possible topics:

–What constitutes Asian American literature?

–Do we need to place the literature into a historical framework?

–How does Asian American literature differ from other “American” literatures?
Or does it?

–What specific stories / poems / dramas are (or should be ) taught?

–What is the value of teaching these literary pieces in our ‘traditional’
classrooms?

–Other topics?

Each participant will be given 15 - 20 minutes to present his or her paper.

Please send 150 word proposals to: faklerm at newpaltz.edu

or mail to: Prof. Mary Fakler, JFT 706, SUNY New Paltz, New Paltz, NY, 12561
.

Professor Mary E. Fakler
faklerm at newpaltz.edu

Department of English
State University of New York at New Paltz
JFT 706   845-257-3819
222 Mannheim Blvd.
New Paltz, New York  12561