[EDLING:233] CFP: Paradoxes of Citizenship: Environments, Exclusions, Equity

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jun 25 16:40:46 UTC 2004

Call for Papers
CACLALS at COSSH 2005
Venue: The University of Western Ontario
Dates:  May 27-29, 2005
Theme: "Paradoxes of Citizenship: Environments, Exclusions, Equity"

CACLALS invites proposals for papers and panels at our next annual=20
conference to be held in May 2005, at The University of Western Ontario.=20
The Congress theme "Paradoxes of Citizenship: Environments, Exclusions,=20
Equity" relates closely to the concerns of postcolonial, globalization and =
transcultural studies. Claims for self-government of indigenous peoples,=20
the separatist movement in Quebec, problems faced by Black Canadians and=20
minority citizens, and the current international political situation have=20
produced much debate on the ambiguities of nationality and citizenship.=20
How do literary works reflect the paradoxes inherent in the idea of=20
nationality and nationhood?  Instituted attempts in the last decade to=20
recognize diversity and difference have lost their will, it seems, with=20
fear of the Other generated by global violence and moral binaries. In what =
ways do literary works grapple with the experiences of immigrants in this=20
"midnight of good and evil," betrayed loyalties in their chosen lands,=20
myth and memory of "home"?=20

We invite papers on any of the following or related aspects related to the =

Congress theme:
Citizenship and (Be)longing
Here and not (t)here"  the diasporic experience
Displaced generations, ambiguous identities=20
Transforming/multiple identities
Eco-criticism and decolonization
Representations of disability in decolonizing literatures and theory
Language, identity and citizenship
Linguistic and cultural identity of minority writers
Changing allegiances of cultural community
Narratives of globalization
Genre equity in postcolonial literary criticism
Postcolonial autobiography
Music in this era of anxiety and terror

Those wishing to present papers should submit a proposal of not less than=20
500 words, and a bio of approx. 100 words to reach us no later than=20
November 30, 2004.  Proposals will be blind-vetted by a committee and you=20
will be informed by the end of January.  We ask that you limit your=20
presentation to 20 minutes (about 10 pages of text), unless you are=20
requested otherwise, and that you remain mindful of the difference between =
oral and written communication. The pragmatics of oral presentation should =
be a central consideration as you write.=20

Please note that proposals will be considered only from paid-up members of =
CACLALS.
We request that you send in proposals only if you plan on attending the=20
conference.

Member organized sessions:  If you wish to organize a special session or=20
panel please describe the session, listing the proposed participants and=20
including a brief bio of each and a 100-word abstract of the papers.=20
Please make sure that the speakers are committed to attending the=20
conference and remind them of the November 30th deadline to get their=20
proposals to you.

Your suggestions are also welcome for plenary speakers, guest authors,=20
member-organized sessions, and joint panels with allied associations.  We=20
also extend a warm welcome to international authors and scholars who may=20
wish to participate in our conference.

Please send proposals for papers and panels, as well as general inquiries=20
to the program chair: Ranjini.Mendis at kwantlen.ca=20
cc. caclals at kwantlen.ca

The conference program will be posted on the CACLALS website at http://www.=
kwantlen.ca/CACLALS/
The full Congress program will be available in May 2005 at=20
http://www.fedcan.ca