quick "help!" question

meddy Megan.Eddy at MANUKAU.AC.NZ
Fri Mar 26 05:57:46 UTC 2004

Hi Laura

As I see it, you’re starting off with 2 verb phrases, or sentences:

1. Bob studied

2. Joe studied

If both are true and positive, you get:

3. Both Bob (studied = understood / silent) and Joe studied

If neither is true, you get:

4. Neither Bob (studied) nor Joe studied

If only one is true, but we’re not sure which:

5. Either Bob (didn’t study) or Joe didn’t study

Therefore

Both Bob (didn’t study) and Joe didn’t study

can only really have the same meaning as your number 1, my number 4 above, where
neither of your initial statements is true. But this form sounds ungrammatical,
to me, anyway, so we opt for the "neither..." format where both are negative.

Was getting myself a little confused as I was doing this - but it sounds right
at the moment... hope it helps. Good luck.

Megan