Conference: Discourse & Cultural Transformation, China

Anne Roberti aroberti at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Mar 26 18:37:13 UTC 2004

International Conference on
Discourse and Cultural Transformation
9-13 October 2004, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, CHINA
Call for Papers (deadline: 31 March)
Cultural imperialism is one of the most fundamental and pressing problems
in contemporary ordinary and disciplinary life. To initiate an
international forum on how discourse research can help enhance cultural
cohesion and common progress, we are organising an international
conference at Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China) between 9th and 13th
of October, 2004. Through this forum, we hope to bring together scholars
in language and communication, cultural studies, literary criticism,
anthropology, education, sociology, psychology and other social
disciplines and from a diversity of cultural backgrounds. In particular,
we invite scholars to take up philosophical, theoretical, methodological
and empirical perspectives on discourse studies, all with a view to
undermining discourses of cultural discrimination, repression and
exclusion on the one hand and advocating subversive, alternative and
creative discourses in favour of cultural solidarity on the other hand.

Topics include (but are not confined to):
„h The relationship between discourse and culture
„h Cross-fertilisation between cultural studies and discourse studies
„h Postcolonialism, diasporicism and discourse theory
„h Cultural imperialism in language/communication/discourse scholarship
„h The international position of non-western scholarship in
language/communication/discourse
„h The study of non-western discourses
„h Intercultural communication and critical pedagogy
„h Discourse studies in China

Please submit a full A4 page abstract of ca 300 words, indicating:

1) intellectual backgrounds
2) the central topic and thesis
3) analytical material

All abstracts should be received by 31 March 2004. Notification of
acceptance will be sent out on 30 April 2004.

We seek to publish a selection of the papers with an international
publisher.

For further information and submission please see:
http://www.cfl.zju.edu.cn/wyxyzy/conference/discourseconference.htm

Contact and abstract submission: shixuk at yahoo.co.uk

'Discourse and Cultural Transformation' Conference
Zhejiang University
School of International Studies
Zijingang Campus
310058