[EDLING:184] Re: L2 in US Schools

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu May 13 02:15:41 UTC 2004

One other little detail, pedagogy and philosophy aside, is that most western
European school systems start teaching foreign languages (especially English)
from various points in elementary school. We rarely start teaching foreign
language until junior high or high school. So by age 17, the average American
student has had somewhere between 2-5 years of German (e.g.), whereas the
average German student has had somewhere between 5-10 years of English. You
can do a whole lot more "communicating" at that point. So it's not really a
fair comparison of proficiency levels there either.

A better question - which is often discussed - is WHY we wait so long and
place so little emphasis on foreign language instruction. Those who have
written below have already done a nice job of introducing that topic. But it
is, sadly, the tip of the iceberg.

Laura