[EDLING:371] CFP: Language in the Media: Representations, Identities, Ideologies

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sun Nov 7 17:20:17 UTC 2004

Language in the Media: Representations, Identities, Ideologies.

Leeds (United Kingdom)

12-14 September 2005

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/linguistics/conferenceIX04.html

It is not uncommon to hear academic linguists bemoaning the
mis-representation of language whenever linguistic issues are taken up by
the media. Ironically, however, we have little systematic understanding of
the ways in which language, discourse and communication are actually dealt
with in, for example, the print and broadcast media or, increasingly, the
new electronic media.

Inspired in part by debates on public understandings of science, this
international conference aims to bring together scholars working in
linguistics, education, anthropology, and communication/media studies with
a common interest in the ways in which language-related issues are both
represented and constructed in various media genres.

We are interested in contributions from researchers working on any area of
language study, on English as well as other languages, and from any
historical period. Whilst we welcome theoretical papers, we are
particularly keen to receive abstracts for papers dealing with empirical
(i.e. data-driven) analyses of the ways in which language issues are
thematised in, and by, the media.

Cambridge University Press has expressed a strong interest in publishing a
volume arising from this conference. To this end, potential contributors
will be asked to submit written versions of their papers (max. 7000 words)
by 1 December 2005, a selection of which will then be published.

Possible themes for papers (and suggestions for panels) include:

a) Standard languages and language standards

b) Literacy policy and literacy practices

c) Language acquisition and language teaching

d) Multilingualism and cross-cultural communication

e) Language and education

f) Language and technology

g) Language and communication in professional contexts

h) Language issues in relation to class, ethnicity, gender, sexuality,
life-cycle, and disability

Abstracts submissions

Please submit abstracts (max. 150 words) by email to:
s.a.johnson at leeds.ac.uk no later than 1 December 2004

Plenary Speakers

- Jane Hill (University of Arizona)
- Alexandra Jaffe (California State University, Long Beach)
- Deborah Cameron (University of Oxford)
- Elena Semino (Lancaster University)
- Judy Delin (University of Leeds)

Conference organiser

Sally Johnson