[EDLING:395] Fwd: CFP: Making Research Matter in Composition (1/31/05; 5/12/05-5/13/05)

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Nov 22 16:35:11 UTC 2004

----- Forwarded message from Diann Baecker <dbaecker at vsu.edu> -----
    Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:19:21 -0500
    From: Diann Baecker <dbaecker at vsu.edu>
 Subject: CFP: Making Research Matter in Composition (1/31/05; 5/12/05-5/13/05)
      To: cfp at english.upenn.edu

CALL FOR PAPERS

The 2005 Virginia State University Conference on Composition and Literature

May 12-13, 2005
Theme:  Making Research Matter

This conference will examine the role of research in the writing classroom.=
  Traditionally, "the" research paper has represented the culmination of =
instruction in a writing course.  It has been a genre dreaded by our =
students and made stultifying by requests for annotated bibliographies, =
note cards, and outlines=AFall before our students are allowed to begin =
writing anything!  At its worse, research is an activity that we have =
squeezed the life out of, although we are all scholars and teachers =
ourselves who must find some satisfaction in the process.  How do we turn =
"doing" research into "engaging" in research?  How do we make intellectual =
inquiry an exciting and profitable enterprise for our students?

An exciting feature of the conference in the past has been the mix of =
conference participants, from middle school teachers to college professors.=
  We have been able to come together to discuss issues that concern us all =
and to talk about ways to make the transition between high school and =
college an easier one for our students. We look forward to being able to =
continue our discussion this year, and we encourage proposals from all =
teachers of writing.

In addition to panel presentations, participants in the 2005 Virginia =
State University Conference on Composition will have the opportunity to =
attend a number of workshops.  Our featured workshop, led by Dr. Elizabeth =
Chiseri-Strater, will address ways to incorporate ethnography in the =
writing classroom.  Conference attendees will also be able to register for =
workshops on incorporating visual rhetoric into the research project as =
well as workshops on using technology as both documentation and exploration=
.  All workshops will include hands-on experience for the participants. =

Featured Speaker:  Dr. Elizabeth Chiseri-Strater, Associate Professor, =
University of North Carolina=AFGreensboro.  Author of Academic Literacies =
and Fieldworking: Reading and Writing Research.

Deadline for Proposals:  January 31, 2005.
Proposals should contain your name, email address, street address, and =
school affiliation.  The abstract should be no longer than 1 page in =
length.  Please indicate in your proposal the academic level most =
appropriate to your presentation:  middle school, high school, 2-yr =
college, 4-yr college, etc.

Send submissions to:

Diann L. Baecker, Ph.D.
Planning Committee Chair