[EDLING:779] Dyslexia and Language Learning?

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 27 16:46:45 UTC 2005

It was suggested to me recently that learners who are dyslexic should
not seek to specialize in language studies (e.g., majoring in a foreign
language) since their dyslexia would prevent them from achieving the skills
expected of a language major.  This seems discriminatory to me.  Would
one prevent a blind or deaf student from being a language major?

I am wondering if anyone knows of research or major findings regarding
adult language learners and dyslexia?  Have there been any findings about
dyslexia and ultimate attainment?  I would expect findings that suggest
students could work with their dyslexia in an L2 in a similar way that they
would in their L1.  Has this been found to be true?  Also, does anyone know
of anything written about best practice in FL/SL assessment of students
with dyslexia?

Francis