[EDLING:930] College Uses Rap Music to Save a Language

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Aug 25 19:57:25 UTC 2005

College Uses Rap Music to Preserve a Language
By Matthew Leiste
UCW News

http://news.ucwe.com/content/view/523/2/

Agency Village, SD - The first rap song ever recorded in the Dakotah language was produced
in a joint effort by the Sisseton Wahpeton College and the Association on American Indian
Affairs. The rap song, titled "Wicozani Mitawa," or "My Life," was recorded at a studio on
the Sisseton Wahpeton College campus in Sisseton, SD, on the
Lake Traverse Reservation.

College President, Dr. William Harjo Lone Fight, a nationally renowned figure in the field
of Native language restoration, hailed the song for its creativity and importance. "For a
language to flourish it has to be used. That is the bottom line. This son helps bring
Dakota into the 21st century as a living language with relevance to our youth."
SWC and AAIA are encouraging everyone to make a copy of the CD so the Dakotah language can
be heard by as many Dakota youth as possible. "The entire concept behind this project is
to create a way to have an entire generation of young people actually hear Dakotah being
used," Director of the Native Language Program for AAIA, Tammy Decoteau, said.
The Dakotah lyrics for the song were first written in English by Sisseton-Wahpeton Dakota
member Tristan Eastman. The lyrics were then translated into Dakotah and edited by Dakota
elders Orsen Bernard, Edwina Bernard, Wayne Eastman, Olivia Eastman, V. June Renville, and
Delbert Pumpkinseed. With the translation in hand, Tristan Eastman performed the song in
Dakotah to music written by Tim Laughter.

The collaboration between elders and youth resulted in a Dakotah rap song that is the
first of its kind, putting the words and feelings of today's youth into the Dakotah
language to create an authentic voice. "Some of the Dakotah words had really deep meaning
and when translating we were trying to interpret what that young person [Tristan Eastman]
was saying and put a lot of positive thinking in there, but at the same time expressing
what he felt," translator Orsen Bernard said.
The original plan for the Dakotah rap song was to create "simple rap songs for children
because the children are listening to whatever it is their parents are listening to and we
felt that they would respond well to rap-style songs," DeCoteau said. But during an
informal conversation DeCoteau was having with Eastman, "He mentioned that he wrote rap
songs.

One of our productions was a CD of popular children's songs, sung in the Dakotah language
so the elders had already had experience in translating songs from English to Dakotah."
The result is a Dakotah rap song that older youth can find a positive cultural identity
in.

The Dakotah rap song is on the forefront of creatively keeping endangered languages alive
and relevant to young speakers. For a language to survive it must be a powerful medium for
new generations of speakers to express themselves in with the confidence that they will be
heard. The Dakotah language, in its struggle for survival and relevancy with Dakota youth,
is now being used in one of American culture's most dominant forms of expression, rap
music.

Such creative steps act as an invitation for Dakota youth to engage with and learn their
traditional language. "If we could reach the young people in one way or another with the
words which have such deep meanings, hopefully down the road, they may look those words
up," Bernard said.

There is good reason for Bernard to be hopeful that combining the traditional language of
the Dakota people with mainstream culture will work. After 12 year old LaRelle Gill first
heard the Dakotah rap song, she said, "This is really cool. I could learn how to speak
Dakotah by listening to this song."
The partnership between the Sisseton Wahpeton College and the AAIA has created several
Dakotah language revitalization projects that have taken advantage of modern media to
reach Dakota youth, including books, PowerPoint presentations, DVDs, CDs, an animation
piece that was nominated for Best Animation at the Native Voices Film Festival, and now a
rap song.

AAIA and Sisseton Wahpeton College are encouraging free dissemination of the rap song to
anyone who is interested. The CD with liner notes is also available through the SWC
bookstore for $5, with 100 percent of the profits going back into future Dakotah language
projects like the rap song. The point is not to make a profit, but to save a language, as
Decoteau said, "The CDs are created with the message printed clearly on both the CD and
the sleeve, to make copies and share them simply in order to allow for as many people as
possible to hear the Dakotah language."