[EDLING:1109] [Fwd: Qualitative Research Texts]

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Dec 8 16:57:09 UTC 2005

One of the members of the CAE listserv asked people to recommend
qualitative research texts; I thought the response might be of interest
. . .

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query. I was surprised and
awed by the detailed responses I received from so many folks right
before the AAA conference. It seems as if qualitative research is a
genuine passion for many of you. The information is so rich that I
decided to  put together a list of recommended texts in order to share
with everyone. I tried to paraphrase or describe the text according to
what recommenders said (if anything was said about the book).

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Kim

****RECOMMENDED QUALITATIVE RESEARCH TEXTS****

Becker, H./ Writing for Social Scientists/. How to think and write about
research  in a broad sense.

Becker, H./ Tricks of the Trade/. "I like the interplay between these
two books: The Merriam book is very thoughtful and straightforward with
chapters on interviewing,  field observation, collecting artifacts, and
so on.  The Becker book (Tricks of the Trade) is also thoughtful, but
takes an entirely different cut through the process of social
inquiry--with chapters on imagery, concepts, logic, etc."

Bogdan, R. C. and S. K. Biklen (2002). Qualitative Research for
Education:  An Introduction to Theory and Methods. Boston, Allyn &
Bacon. A good balance between practice and theory.

Crotty, M. (1998)./ Foundations of Social Research/. A conceptually
oriented book. Sage publications. A faculty member stated that " Crotty
is tough going and is not popular with students until they are designing
their dissertations; then they love him."

Delamont, S. (2001)./ Fieldwork in Educational Settings:  Methods,
Pitfalls and Perspectives/. London, Falmer Press. "I ... hand out a copy
of one page from this, a list called The Basic Rules (p. 151), which is
the best concise guide to data analysis and analytic thinking that I
know of."

DeMarrais, K. B. (Ed.). (1998)./ Inside stories: Qualitative research
reflections/. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. ..."It helped students see research
method decision-making from the perspectives of those who made the
decisions.  It would be particularly useful in tandem with a curriculum
that had students designing and initiating their own research projects."

deMarrais, K. and S. D. Lapan, Eds. (2004)./ Foundations for Research:
Methods of Inquiry in Education and the Social Sciences. Inquiry and
Pedagogy across Diverse Contexts/. Mahwah, NJ, Lawrence Erlbaum. An
anthology.

Denzin, N. & Lincoln, Y.S. (Eds.) (1998)./ Strategies of Qualitative
Inquiry/. Sage Publications. A good comprehensive text for beginners.

Emerson, R. Fretz, R., & Shaw, L. (1995)/ Writing Ethnographic
Fieldnotes/. Antrhopological and sociological research perspectives and
guidance.

Esterberg, K.D. (2002)./ Qualitative Methods in Social Research/.
McGraw-Hill.

Glesne, C. (1999)./ Becoming Qualitative Researchers:  An Introduction/.
New York, Longman. Others also recommended previous editions, published
with Alan Peshkin. Very accessible for students in an intro course.

Hammersely, M.  &  P.  Atkinson./ Ethnography: Principles in Practice/.
"... a single introductory discussion I still like the best of all...."

LeCompte, M., & Schensul, J. (Eds.). (1999)./ The Ethnographer's
Toolkit/.  Rowman and Littlefield's Altamira Press. 7 books.
Book #1:  "a general introduction to the uses, implementation, data
collection strategies, and analyses of
qualitative and ethnographic data. It includes a section on research
designs and one on IRBs and how to work with them. Those aren't usually
included in general texts."
#2: Essential Ethnographic Methods. "I find volume 2 especially useful
for students."
#3: Focus groups, Elicitation techniques, audio and video recording.
#5: Analysis techiques (both quant. and qual.), chapter on statistics,
coding, inductive analysis, displaying data, and interpretation
#6. Researcher role and research partnerships, IRBs.

Marshall, C. & G. Rossman./ An Introduction to Qualitative Research/.

Mason, J. / Qualitative Researching/, 2nd edition, Sage Publications.
Clearly written: "... students often remark on how useful it is in the
class and later as they prepare their own dissertation proposals."

Maxwell, J.A. (2005)./ Qualitative Research Design. An Interpretive
Approach (Second Edition)./ Sage Publications. Straightforward
information that students find very useful in terms of guiding research
design. Sample design very helpful.

Merriam, S./ Qualitative Research and Case Study Applications in
Education/. "I like the interplay between these two books: The Merriam
book is very thoughtful and straightforward with chapters on
interviewing,  field observation, collecting artifacts, and so on.  The
Becker book (Tricks of the Trade) is also thoughtful, but takes an
entirely different cut through the process of social inquiry--with
chapters on imagery, concepts, logic, etc."

Nespor, J. website: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/nespor/  "Although not a
part of course work, I want to add that one of the best resources I have
found for actually *doing* qualitative research is Jan
Nespor's website."

Patton, M. Q. (2002)./ Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods/.
Thousand Oaks, CA, Sage. Good balance between practice and theory.

Rossman, and Rallis, S./ Learning in the Field/. Follows three graduates
students through their first qualitative course.

Sanjek, R. / Fieldnotes/.

Seidman, I.E. (1991)./ Interviewing as Qualitative Research. A Guide for
Researchers in Education and the Social Sciences./ Teachers College
Press. Small and easy to read for beginners.

Shank, G. (2006). Qualitative Research: A Personal Skills Approach.
Upper Saddle River, NJ, Merrill Prentice Hall.

UGA (University of Georgia) introduction to qualitative research
website: http://www.coe.uga.edu/leap/qual/index.html)

Wax, R. (1971). / Doing Fieldwork, Warnings and Advice/. Recommended for
those who will do extended ethnographic fieldwork, drawing from author's
own experience.

Weis, L. & Fine, M. (2000)./ Speed Bumps: A Student-Friendly Guide to
Qualitative Research/. New York: Teachers College Press. " I used [it]
with undergraduate seniors and they really liked it."

Weiss, R. (1995)./ The Art and practice of Qualitative Interview
Studies/. Out of print but available through Amazon.com

Whyte, W. (1984)./ Learning from the Field/. Recommended for those doing
extended ethnographic fieldwork, drawing from author's own experience.

--

Kimberly Powell
Assistant Professor of Art Education and Curriculum and Instruction