[EDLING:646] Wait Time Summary

fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Feb 10 22:17:35 UTC 2005

Here is a summary of the references on wait time that I received on- and off-
list.  Thanks!

The last one might be the one I was thinking about.  Someone was kind enough
to send me the abstract so I include that here as well.

Francis
P.S. The list poll results are coming soon...

Wait Time
Cazden, Courtney (2001). Classroom Discourse: The Language of Teaching and
Learning.  Heinemann.

Jegede, O. J. (1995). Wait-Time, Classroom Discourse, and the
Influence of Sociocultural Factors in Science Teaching. Science
education, 79(3)

Mansfield, J. B. (1996). The Effect of Wait-Time on Issues of Gender Equity,
Academic Achievement, and Attitude Toward a Course. Teacher Education and
Practice 12 (1)

**Rowe, Mary Budd (1996, reprinted from March 1969 issue) Science, silence,
and sanctions.  Science and Children 34: 35-7

Abstract: In an article reprinted from the March 1969 issue of
Science and Children, the effect of "wait-time" on students'
one second for a student to start answering a question. Increasing
the length of average wait-time to five seconds or longer increases
the length of student responses, the probability of getting whole
sentences, and student confidence. Furthermore, children move from
teacher-centered show-and-tell forms of behavior to child-child
comparing of differences. By increasing wait-time, teachers buy
themselves the chance to hear and think and change their beliefs
about what some children can do. An experiment on wait-time that
teachers can try for themselves is outlined.