[EDLING:647] List Poll Summary

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sun Feb 13 03:00:18 UTC 2005

Here is the summary of the list poll.  Thanks to everyone who responded!

In section V, I collapsed only nearly identical interests in order to provide
as detailed a representation as possible.

Hopefully this poll will give you a sense of who is in our online community.
Please remember that all Edling-L subscribers are encouraged to engage in
lively conversation on research ideas and concerns in addition to sharing
information about upcoming conferences and research meetings, calls for
papers, publication releases, research resources, bibliographic information,
stories of language in education from popular media, and other matters of
interest.

Information on how to join the Edling List can be found at this URL:
http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~pennelf/ELF/listserv.html

Best,
Francis Hult
Manager, Edling-L

LIST POLL SUMMARY

As of December 13, 2004 there were 279 subscribers to the Edling List.  90
subscribers responded to the poll.

This summary includes
I.	Countries
II.	Institutions
III.	Academic departments
IV.	Positions
V.	Research Interests
VI.	Comments

As of Dec 13, we had 279 subscribers
90 responded to the list poll

I. LIST MEMBERS ARE IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES:
Australia, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Japan, Malaysia;
Mali, New Zealand, Oman, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, United Kingdom
(specifically England and Wales), United States of America

II. LIST MEMBERS ARE AFFILIATED WITH THESE INSTITUTIONS:
Alexandria University in Damanhour
Baker College
Central Michigan University
Central Missouri State University
Bristol University Centre for Deaf Studies
Charlottesville City Schools
Cheshire LEA
College of Charleston, South Carolina
Coppin State University
Defense Language Institute-Washington Office
Dokuz Eylul University
Duisburg-Essen University
Edith Cowan University
Gadsden Independent School District
Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez
Harrisburg Area Community College, Lancaster Campus
Holy Family University (Pennsylvania)
Honan College Shinshu
Hong Kong Institute of Education
University of London
Jewish Theological Seminary
Kochi University
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Lund University
Manukau Institute of Technology
Melbourne University
Middlesex University
Moenchsee-Gymnasium, Heilbronn
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Nizwa College of Education, Ministry of Higher Education
Northern Arizona University
New York University
Oklahoma State University
Pace University
Paris 3 La Sorbonne Nouvelle
Saint Louis University in Madrid
SIL International
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Stanford University
Sydney University
Teachers College, Columbia University
The American University in Cairo
The Ohio State University
University of California  Santa Cruz
UNED (Madrid,  Spain)
Union University, Jackson Tennessee
University of East London
University College London (UCL)
The Open University
University of Barcelona
University of Exeter
University of Malaya
University of New Mexico
University of Pennsylvania
Southern Oregon University
University of Plymouth
University of Sheffield
University of South Florida
University of Texas, Arlington
University of Thessaly
University of Wales Aberystwyth
University of Washington
Waseda University

III. LIST MEMBERS ARE IN THESE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS:
Academic Affairs
Applied Linguistics
Catalan Language Service of the University of Barcelona
Centre for Adult Literacy and Numeracy
Communication and English Language Studies
Didactique des langues et des cultures
East Asian Languages and Cultures
Education
Education, Curriculum and Instruction
Language, Literacy, and Culture
Educational Linguistics
English
English and Communication
English Education
English Language and Literature
English Language Institute
English as a Second Language
European Languages (German)
Foreign and Second Language Education
Foreign Languages
French
German
Hebrew
Indigenous Australian Studies
International Educational Development (Language, Literacy, and Technology
specialization)
International Studies
Language and Literacy Education
Language, Culture and Communication
Language, Literacy & Arts
Language, Literacy, and Sociocultural Studies
Languages
Language in Education
Linguistics
Modern Japanese Language and Culture
Modern Languages
Multilingual/Multicultural Studies
Philosophy
Romance Languages (French)
School of Education and Lifelong Learning
School of International Liberal Studies
Second language Acquisition & Instructional Technology
Sociology
Special Education
Teaching and Learning
TESOL

IV. LIST MEMBERS HOLD THESE POSITIONS:
Dean
Deputy University President
Faculty (college/university)
Faculty (secondary)
Head of Initial Teacher Training/Subject Leader for English
Independent consultant/contractor
Independent researcher
Laboratory staff
Language demonstrator of Catalan for foreigners
Postdoctoral Fellow
Postgraduate
Program Assistant
Program Director
Researcher
self-employed
Staff
Student, doctoral
Student, masters
Student, undergraduate
Student, unspecified
Visiting Scholar

V. LIST MEMBERS HAVE THESE INTERESTS IN EDUCATIONAL LINGUISTICS:
Academic reading and writing
Adult learners
Applied linguistics
Attitudes towards non-standard varieties (amongst native speakers, in Germany)
Bernstein
Bi-/multilingual education (in public schools (K-12), especially of English
  and Spanish)
Bilingualism (and bilingual education, and the language development of Latino
  students)
CALL
Child language development
Classical Latin
Classroom discourse and interaction
Communicative events
Computer-assisted oral reading and pronunciation diagnosis
Corpus linguistics
Curriculum
Cyberdiscursivity
Development of academic English, K-12
Discourse analysis (contrastive, critical, used to understand situations
  within education)
Ecology of Language/Ecolinguistics
Educational equity/access
Email and computer mediated language in general and as a learning tool
English ( as a foreign language, as an international language)
English curriculum
English grammar (and teaching)
Equity issues for English learners especially with regard to teacher quality
  and curriculum
Error analysis and error correction
ESL (practices and methods)
First language acquisition
First language and literacy teaching and learning
Foreign language acquisition
Foreign language teaching and learning
Gender manifestations in vocabulary, syntax, grammar and other gender
  manifestations (i.e. in Internet sites, etc.)
General communication issues
German
History and scope of educational linguistics.
Identity (and language, learner~)
Intercultural Studies
Kibbitzing
L2  pedagogy
L2 production
Language and literacy
Language and sexual identity
Language as socially organizing
Language associations.
Language awareness (of teachers of German in Germany)
Language contact (shift, loss, maintenance, and diglossia)
Language ideologies (and foreign language education)
Language in the classroom
Language planning and policy (in education, and discourse)
Language sensitive instruction
Language testing and assessment (and language teaching, L1 and L2~, of reading
and writing, placement testing)
Learning strategies and learning strategies training
Linguistic ethnography
Linguistic minorities (and language education)
Linguistic patterns/developments in children's writing
Linguistics and second language teaching
Linguistics and teacher development
Linguistics as a basis for pedagogical change (or lack thereof)
Literacy (~development, from a Critical Discourse Analysis perspective in
  language teaching profession)
Literacy in and around technological tools and environments (literacy related
  to film, video games, phones, online environments, mobile devices)
Material development and research in teaching Turkish as a foreign language
Metalinguistic growth
Middle school
Mother-tongue (literacy and instruction)
Multimodality
Narrative
Old Occitan.
Paradigms in language teaching and learning
Pidginisation
Politics and linguistic rights
Power and gender relations in the tertiary study environment and classroom
Practical applications of linguistics
Practical teaching approaches
Pragmatic development
Pragmatics
Psycholinguistics
Reader response theory
Reading
Reflexivity of language
Relevance of linguistics to education in general and to language
Second dialect acquisition (and literacy)
Second language acquisition (adolescent~, and culture, and instruction,
  classroom~, content-based~, especially of English and Spanish)
Second language pedagogy
Second language socialization of immigrant students in culturally diverse
  classrooms
Second language writing
Semantics
Sociolinguistics (micro~, macro~)
Stimulation of student motivation
Student Writing (ESL/ EFL/ENL)
Teacher Education (regarding English language learners)
Teacher knowledge of educational linguistics
Teaching Greek sign language as a first and as a second language
Teaching L2 speaking and writing
Technology design
TESL/TESOL (methods)
The relationship between student beliefs and attitudes and teacher beliefs,
  attitudes, and practices
Third Language Acquisition
World Englishes
Writing, language, and literacy
Written and spoken discourse from a macrosociolinguistic view

      SOME SPECIFIC INTERESTS INCLUDE:
How language and linguistics feature in school and HE courses

Language planning and policy, sociopolitical aspects of TESOL, the spread of
English, and the implications of these for TESOL practices

Teaching principles of second language acquisition to high school teachers who
have come back for a M.Ed. in Foreign Language

The assessment and treatment of behavioral health disorders in the public
schools, and how this discourse is reflected in child language development and
usage, specifically, the usage of the terminology associated with the
implementation of behavioral health educational plans in the classroom.

The intertwining of suprasegmentals (Intonation, Pitch, Stress) and affective
filters which produce language anxiety in the process of acquiring a foreign
language

The primary objective of my research is to determine the influence of self-
efficacy beliefs, or beliefs about one's own academic capabilities, on the
academic achievement and linguistic proficiency of college French students. I
have also evaluated the teacher efficacy of native versus non-native teaching
assistants of French.

I am also currently conducting a study which investigates the cultural
learning outcomes of the participation of high school students in summer study
abroad in France, Italy, and Spain. This investigation seeks to determine if
significant changes occurred in students self-assessment of their ability to
perform linguistic tasks in target language, self-report of cultural,
linguistic, and interpersonal challenges in the target culture, identification
with native and target culture, and understanding of target culture
perspectives, practices, and products.

What do teachers (mostly secondary 1st language teachers) need to know about
language (esp. grammar, dialects, discourse, etc.)

What research and education can do to promote understanding across
sociolinguistic communities and individuals

VI.  COMMENTS
This list is a wonderful forum to help us work on the above [research
interests].

Thank you for the poll :)

I am an English language instructor who teaches EAP.

I've been on this list for about 3 years, and it has been very informative and
useful for me. Thanks for your time.

I'm currently part of an ESL/Bilingual Ed study/advisory group for Southern
Oregon.

I'd like to see more discussions of linguistic issues, theoretical and
practical on the list. I hope we can receive postings from authorities in the
field of educational linguistics and linguistics at large.  Please accept my
warmest regards & best wishes.

Great listserv!

I REALLY appreciate this list and am grateful for all the work the organizers
do to keep it running. However, I do not really like the inclusion of so many
newspaper articles from the popular press.  I feel that the list is best used
as a means for discussion and dissemination of issues related to applied
linguistics, but with so much e-mail that we all have to sift through, I would
prefer to avoid these "human interest" stories!  Otherwise, keep up the good
work!

I'd be very interested in collaborating with others interested in conducting
research in the field of second language acquisition, motivation and
educational psychology, etc.

I enjoy the news articles—nice to see examples of practice in different
settings and to keep up on educational policy developments.  It’s also
interesting to see how issues in language education are represented in the
media.

I really appreciate the dialogue on the list.

This is a great list serve-- the only one that I look at every day.

I like the list because it does not clog my mail with zillion emails and is
informative.

I really enjoy the postings on the list -- but it would be nice to see a bit
more dialogue.

WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF DETAILS OF VERY 'LOCAL' SEMINARS COULD BE REMOVED FROM
THE GENERAL MAILINGS AS THERE'S NO CHANCE OF GETTING THERE!

The list is very helpful for my research and classes.

Thanks for doing this.  Some of the posts are very interesting!

It's a nice service.  The open discussion and announcements are useful and
interesting.

I find the list very helpful in keeping me a little more up to date on some
relevant issues in the field, especially in areas I probably wouldn't initiate
any research or discovery myself. It's also great to hear about the
conferences, but more notices of conferences in the South Pacific or
Australasia area would be fantastic to see.

Great listserv!!

I've only been a subscriber for a few weeks but think the listserve is terrific