[EDLING:668] GSE Perspectives on Urban Education

Kimberly Daniel White danielkw at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Feb 25 10:30:59 UTC 2005

Penn GSE Perspectives on Urban Education announces its sixth issue - Gender
and Education (Volume III, Issue 2).  Check it out at www.urbanedjournal.org

This issue considers some of the topics and controversies related to gender
and schooling.  The feature articles include Gender Equity Programs in Urban

Education: Redefining Relationships Between Funding and Evaluation by
Ginsberg, and Using Sociotransformative Constructivism to Unearth Gender
Identity Discourses in Upper Elementary Schools by Rodriquez & Zozakiewicz.
The Commentaries provide a review of literature on the challenges of
teaching African American male students, and a discussion of two qualitative
studies conducted with a group of African American students in an urban
school district.  Articles in The Notes From the Field section take up
issues of teaching as a feminized profession, black femininity read in a
media text, and supports for "queer and questioning" youth.  In addition,
you can enjoy book and movie reviews of recently released texts related to
gender and education in our Reviews section.

Call for Papers: We are now seeking submissions for our upcoming issues!

For more information see http://www.urbanedjournal.org/callforpapers.html

Issue 7: No Child Left Behind, Deadline for submission is March 21, 2005
Issue 8: New Teachers, Deadline for submission is September 15, 2005 Issue
9: Teaching During Wartime: Education post 9/11