[EDLING:507] FWD: CFP: A Dialogue on Dialogue (3/11/05; MLA '05)

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sun Jan 2 02:02:45 UTC 2005

CFP: "A Dialogue on Dialogue"
2005 MLA Convention, Washington D.C.
Program arranged by the Society for the Study of Narrative Literature

What do we talk about when we talk about dialogue?  Like most
fundamental concepts, dialogue has been both over- and under-theorized.
  Dialogue can refer to spoken interactions between fictional
characters, a strategy to resolve real-world problems, reader response
(i.e. the ways readers dialogue with texts), or intertextuality (i.e.
the ways texts dialogue with one another).  The sheer expansiveness of
the term is its greatest asset, as well as the property most likely to
render the conversation cacophonous and unproductive.  With the intent
of refining this discussion, this panel will present a
multi-disciplinary investigation of dialogue founded on the supposition
that all dialogue is a narrative act, and that this unique narrativity
has not been adequately treated by scholars.

This panel welcomes papers that consider dialogue:
* As a formal practice in prose, drama, and poetry
* As a mode of conflict resolution
* As a significant, meaning-producing interaction between reader and
text
* As intertextuality or historical influence
* As exchanges among writers and readers
* As attempts to recover forgotten writing by placing it in dialogue
with canonical writing
* Or as any other of the myriad ways that dialogue forms narrative
experience.

While this panel proposes that we treat dialogue broadly, it also hopes
to synthesize these approaches to reveal commonalities that will open
onto a more manageable theory of dialogue.

Please submit a 250-word proposal and a brief CV to Matthew Badura
<mbadura at temple.edu> by Friday, March 11, 2005.

Matthew Badura
1020 Anderson Hall
English Department