[EDLING:522] Re: Double standards in higher education - my paranoia or a global concern?

Bessie Dendrinos vdendrin at ENL.UOA.GR
Sat Jan 8 18:41:56 UTC 2005

Dear Ahmar, thank you for writing to us about your experience, which I am afraid that it is not all that rare, nor restricted to non-western countries. I have been aware of such double standards for people from politically powerful and privileged countries on the one hand and from politically less powerful and non-privileged ones on the other. And though I share your concerns, I don't know how to go about doing anything about it, other than discuss this situation, which I believe is linked with structural conditions and ideologies - including (a) the 'inherent' racism of some members of staff in various institutions (my experiences are mainly with colleagues in the US and the UK), (b) with the inability of many westerners to manage and deal with different types of knowledge and ways of organizing this knowledge for the benefit of the parties involved in the PhD project and for the successful outcome of the work (which should ideally be the result of an intercultural way of thinking and doing), and (c) with the way that academic institutions in many western countries are evaluated for funding purposes.
Looking forward to hearing what other colleagues have to say about this issue.
Bessie

Professor Bessie Dendrinos
Department of Language and Linguistics
Faculty of English Studies
School of Philosophy
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Panepistimioupoli Zographou
15784 Athens, Greece
Greece
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ahmar Mahboob
  To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 2:01 AM
  Subject: [EDLING:520] Double standards in higher education - my paranoia or a global concern?

  At a recent meeting with some well-respected academics at a good (western) university, I was griping about one of my international (non-native) Ph.D. students. During the course of the conversation, one of the professors told me that I should not worry too much. This person said that since my student plans to return to his country after graduation and since he will not be seeking a job in a western country, I do not need to worry about the quality of his work. While I did not say much at the time, this comment has really disturbed me.

  I have been aware of such double standards for a while, but this was the first time I heard someone (a senior professor for that) state it so matter-of-factly. I was wondering if any of you have experienced such attitudes. How have/do you react to this? I find it extremely unethical to make such distinctions and to give differentiated treatment to my west-bound and non-west-bound students. I expect my students to perform at or above a certain level. If they are not performing, then I try to find ways to help them. I cannot just let them be because they will take their degrees back home. If we permit this to happen, how are we contributing to the fall of academic standards internationally?

  PhDs from the west are treated with great respect in many countries. They are given better salaries and higher positions vis-ΰ-vis local PhDs and are given more say in policy making etc. By permitting these double standards, we are in a way sabotaging the educational standards of these (developing) countries. What we are saying is: you are not good enough for us and we will never consider hiring you as an academic here (in the west), but we will (take your money and) give you a degree to take back home. How much more unethical can academics become?

  While I hope that my experience was an uncommon/rare one, I fear that this is a growing tendency. This tendency is probably supported by (if not rooted in) universities' desire to attract more full-fee-paying-international-students. Universities are investing huge amounts to attract new international students and part of their promise is that we will give you a western qualification that you can take back home and prosper from. In this race for attracting and keeping more students (read as 'money'), universities seem to be losing sight of their integrity. Like other money making corporations, universities seem to be selling their brand-name rather than focusing on the quality of education. This is a deplorable act and I think one that needs to be exposed.

  As you can probably guess, the casual conversation that I had earlier this week has really upset me. While I'm not sure what we can do to counter these growing tendencies, I feel that the least we can do is to discuss and expose them.

  Best wishes,

  Ahmar

  Dr. Ahmar Mahboob

  Department of Linguistics