[EDLING:528] Re: Self-reports of language proficiency?

Hyun-Sook Kang hyunkang at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jan 11 19:55:31 UTC 2005

Hello there,

A professor here at the Penn GSE, Dr. Yuko Butler developed and used self-
assessment survey items for local English teachers in Asia -- I was working as
a researcher assisstant for her research project. The survey items concern
teachers' self-assessment of their competence in English speaking, listening,
reading and writing. Here's the reference:

Butler, Y. (2004). What level of Enlgish proficiency do elementary school
teachers need to attain to teach EFL? Case studies from Korea, Twaiwan, and
Japan. TEOSL Quarterly, 38:2, 245- 278.

As she mentioned in the method section of the article, she borrowed a matrix
originally developed for adults' self-assessment of oral proficiency in the
following study:

Padilla, A. M., Sung, H., & Aninao, J. (1997). Less-commonly taught languages
in selected elementary and secondary schools in California. Foreign language
assistance act program evaluation project. Stanford, CA: Stanford University.

Hope this helps,
Hyun-Sook

Quoting Raquel Sanchez <raq at stanford.edu>:

 Hello colleagues,
 I am helping a nation-wide vocational education program survey it's staff on
 their language capabilities.  I am hoping that some of you can recommend
 articles/research related to constructing survey items to measure the
 language proficiency of bilingual staff.
 Anything you can think of might help.
 Thanks,
 Raquel

--
Hyun-Sook Kang
Ph.D. candidate in Educational Linguistics