[EDLING:534] Santorum and Linguists Gone Wild!

David Cassels Johnson dcj at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Jan 12 23:22:33 UTC 2005

Thanks for sending this Shannon. It's too bad that the newspapers have ignored
the "Most Outrageous Word of the Year" ("santorum") because of what it means.
Philadelphians will be interested because it is an appropriation of Senator
Rick Santorum's (R-PA) name, who hoped the Supreme Court would uphold anti-
sodomy laws. He had this to say: "If the Supreme Court says that you have a
right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy,
you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the
right to adultery. You have the right to anything." If any of you are
interested in the history of this word, you can check out
http://www.spreadingsantorum.com/. The originiator of this word, Dan Savage,
is a syndicated sex columnist. Philly residents can find his weekly column in
the Philadelphia Weekly.

Santorum is up for re-election in 2 years.

David