[EDLING:557] psycholinguistic reference question

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Jan 22 07:15:36 UTC 2005

Can anyone tell me who gets credit for coining the phrase "tip of the tongue
phenomenon"? I.e. the point at which you're looking for a word, you know that
you know it, but it just isn't coming to you. I've seen it used in a couple
studies (e.g. deBot 1996) but it's mentioned in passing as common parlance and
I know it's been around for decades. Who used it first and when (reference)?

Thanks!
Laura