[EDLING:574] Re: 'Sign language classes are on the rise'

Hyun-Sook Kang hyunkang at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jan 24 17:22:06 UTC 2005

Hi Shannon,

I found the issue interesting, although I’m not really following BU’s recent
policy. I think a stark difference lies in defining the term, foreign language
requirement between Henderson and us, Educational Linguists. Henderson’s
rationale seems fairly consistent in that if he defines a *foreign* language
as a language spoken *outside* of North America, then ASL doesn’t fit into
that category. By extension, it is predicted that while French or Japanese
sign languages can fulfill the foreign language requirement, North American
Indian languages cannot – under his rationale.

So, if we attack the label, “foreign” language requirement, then we may argue
for the support and inclusion of ASL in the higher education curriculum.
That’s just my quick idea. I can’t wait to dig up some more articles about
BU’s policy about ASL.

Hope this email finds you doing great, and talk later,
Hyun-Sook
Quoting Shannon Sauro <totoro2 at dolphin.upenn.edu>:

 I find Henderson's rationale for Boston University's current policy of not
 allowing ASL to fulfill its foreign language requirement, namely that it
 is a North American language and does not provide access to the culture of
 another society, both interesting and troublesome.

 It is interesting that this policy seems to place value on learning about
 language and cultures which only exist overseas.  Of course, I am assuming
 that Henderson's concern about the North American roots of ASL also
 applies to Spanish and French, so that the varities of Spanish and French
 being taught on campus are not of the North American kind.

 What is troublesome is that this policy also seems to be based on the
 assumption that the society and culture of the deaf in North America is no
 different from that of English-speaking/hearing society.  However, as
 someone who is not a member of the deaf community, my perspective on this
 is limited to the books I have read on the subject.

 I would love to hear what others of you have to say on this matter and
 what your universities' policies are on recognizing the study of signed
 languages in fulfillment of foreign language requirements.

 Shannon Sauro

--
Hyun-Sook Kang
Ph.D. candidate in Educational Linguistics